Skip to main content

Math Memoir - The Series 2



 This Math Memoir was submitted by @golda.abs on instagram.

My maths journey

My earliest memory of mathematics was when I was six years old. I remember talking to my older brother in the backyard and asking the question, ‘what is the largest number?’. He answered that infinity was the biggest number since numbers never end. I didn’t understand it at first but then he explained further that if I take any huge number- I shouted, ‘one million’, we could always add the digit ‘one’ on top of that, like one million plus one. I recall that I immediately comprehended that response and was satisfied. Nowadays I have a much better understanding of infinity and as well, I know that it’s not a number, but rather a concept in mathematics. 

 

That same year, I began elementary school. I wasn’t obsessed with maths yet, as I much preferred English and writing class. I read many books weekly and I decided that I was going to be an author when I grew up. Then in middle school, I started developing an interest in science and mathematics. I am privileged to come from an intelligent family and talking to my dad about physics every morning on the drive to school has greatly helped me to get to where I stand today. I fed my curiously about the world by walking to the public library and borrowing the most interesting books that I could find on those topics, which was a big switch from my usual line of fiction reading. Also, I am lucky to have acquired an excellent memory which has certainty served me well. In school in Australia, there is a yearly mathematics competition for students called the Australian Westpac mathematics competition which you must pay to enter and can do it while at school. Although the teachers encouraged it, it  wasn’t compulsory of course but I joined every single year. I was very competitive- I still am to this day, so I wanted to get the highest mark possible. We had Naplan too, every second year and I excelled in the mathematics section which may have propelled me to continue working on the subject in my own time. In my country, high school begins in year 7. It was a real stress. I suffer from a type of anxiety called social anxiety and this really slowed down my learning. I didn’t think about maths much in the first year, I just followed the general curriculum and focused on all of the schoolwork. Year 8 though changed everything. I was 13 years old and that was the year in which I became obsessed with improving my intelligence. I did things like spend hours nightly memorising shuffled decks of cards, learning Morse code, reciting hundreds of digits of Pi from memory, doing hard times tables in my head in every possible spare moment, watching every single YouTube video on maths and physics that I could find and writing down all the proofs so that I could show my family. I was fascinated with the golden ratio and Fibonacci sequence, the Mandelbrot set, chaos theory, the millennium prize problems- particularly the Riemann hypothesis, mathematical paradoxes, cool ideas and shapes like the Klein bottle and the torus and really all patterns in nature.  I also thought I had figured out human psychology and body language from my own observations. I actually probably learnt the most from that year. The following four years were really tough. I still had a keen interest in maths, but the problem was that it was generally the last class of every day. For me, this was the time when I was the most anxious which meant that I couldn’t listen, let alone understand a word my teacher was saying. When school finished for the day, I would walk home and the first thing I would do is go to my room and teach myself all the work covered in that lesson. Afterwards, not only did I have homework to do but I also had all the maths questions that my classmates had already completed during the lesson, as I wasn’t sound enough to solve them in school. This also meant that I didn’t do well in long tests as it was extremely difficult for me to sit down at my desk for two hours straight and complete it. I did do really well on the short quizzes though since they only took about twenty minutes to finish, and that confused my teacher since she genuinely thought that i just wasn’t good at the subject. I also used to find my own methods to solve the algebra problems since I had lots of time to find the best method that worked for me as I did it all at home. My teacher got really upset at me for this when she noticed and said in front of my whole grade that I would fail completely. Tough times. Anyway, since my school didn’t cover calculus, I took it up and learnt calculus one and two when I was 16 years old. It wasn’t difficult since I was already familiar with teaching myself all different kinds of maths. I made it through and graduated at age 17. Since then, I have partaken in some small-scale maths contests and I began playing chess which I’m hoping will improve my logical thinking and analytical skills. 

 

Today, I’m still 17 but my love for mathematics is just as strong as ever. I’m at the point in my life that I can safely say that my feelings won’t ever go away. I’m about to start higher mathematics training with an online tutor and will eventually study it professionally in university. I like calculus and topology and I prefer pure mathematics over applied. I would like to be a theoretical physicist and a mathematician someday. I still enjoy writing and I’m already a science communicator to some degree. I believe that a passion for mathematics may just be the best possible one that exists. Mathematics is the highest form of knowledge and is the language of this beautiful universe. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Math Memoir The Series: Part 5

 I know it has been a minute but whoa has time flown by... here is the latest Math Memoir from someone who isn't on anyone's radar as a "math person" but helps us to see that we are all math persons since we do math even when we don't realize it and sometimes when we do and we are working on something fun. This is from Emily Haxton, Junior AP English Language & Composition and  Sophomore Honors English, at Lewis & Clark High School in Spokane, Washington, USA. I think it’s safe to say that most people assume English teachers are not the best math students.  I’ve actually heard my colleagues say as much, so it’s no wonder the stereotype exists.  But I am an English teacher who embraces math in my classroom.  It can be extremely helpful for some of my concrete-sequential learners to think about language structures and arguments as formulas, so I’m often coming up with math analogies to help solidify their understanding.  Since I’m comfortable with math conc

Teaching an "Everyone is a Math Person" Mindset from Day 1.

Even if you are not a teacher you probably know that the fundamentals for a good classroom are to develop relationships and to build a safe environment for students to take risks. In the math classroom, students are coming in with loads of math baggage that are both traumas and successes. Getting a student to trust you to take care of them as they try hard and new things and to support them through mistakes is a daunting task. Here are some of the things that I do that help students see themselves as mathematicians in my room (and hopefully out in the real world) as well as trust me to take care of them as they grow as mathematicians. Set your intentions in your introduction and classroom décor. Student Created Einstein Bio Student Created Mary Jackson Poster I want the students to see mathematicians on the walls that are both famous but also diverse so that they can make connections with the people who created the math they will be learning. Often Math is presented as this magical thi

How are the best of the best recognized in Mathematics?

Mathematicians are often touted as the smartest people on the planet but then you hear about the best and brightest winning the Nobel Prize in Physics, Chemistry, Literature, Medicine, Economics... Peace... but not MATHEMATICS. I haven't really thought too much about it until I started to research for this post. I knew Mathematicians had their own awards and just left it at that. Well, let's take a look at what was up with Alfred Nobel and then talk about the biggest math prizes. Source: Wikipedia Alfred Nobel Born Alfred Bernhard Nobel 21 October 1833 Stockholm , Sweden Died 10 December 1896 (aged 63) Sanremo , Italy Nobel was a Swedish chemist and inventor. He holds 355 patents with dynamite being the most well known. After being criticized for making a fortune off of the production of armaments, he decided to leave his fortune to the Nobel Prize Institute to change his legacy. His last will and testament set aside monies to establish the Nobel Prizes. These prizes were to be